The Schneider Family Website

Family Stories

About Me

I am Eric Schneider, the ES of ESWebs. I was born in 1963. I am a christian, a husband, a father, an inventer, web designer, a graphic designer, and for a living, I do mechanical design. I am very interesetd in almost anything gadgety. I love computers, home entertainment, home automation, photography, air cooled VWs, welding and fabrication, and NPR (not gadgety, but very engaging) to name just a few. I'm always making and inventing things and have no problem finding ways to eliminate boredom. I never have a chance to be bored, that's for sure. More info is available here.

I was born and raised in the Reno, NV area. When I was 2 years old, I went to Oxford England for 3 1/2 years while my father went to college there. My family came back and has lived in the area ever since. My wife and I are raising a family here. Together we have three kids, two girls and a boy in the middle.

I went to school at Procter Hug High School, class of '81. I also attended Truckee Meadows Community College. I have a few certificates filed away from various seminars and short courses too.

About My Family

My wife is from Ontario, OR. She moved here shortly after recieving her degree in Pharmacy. She is an amazing woman who finished up high school 1 year early and college semester early for a total of 1 1/2 early. When she got her first job as a Pharmacist, her patients couldn't believe it because she looked like she was still in high school. She is incredibly keen with numbers and documents. We were married (here's that story) on July 10, 1998, so we've been hitched now for 19 years, 7 months and 2 weeks and counting. She is truely my completer and keeps me in balance.

I have 3 kids - girl, boy, girl. The oldest was born on December 5, 2000 so she is 17 years, 2 months, 2 weeks and 5 days old today. The next one arrived on June 28, 2003. That makes him 14 years, 7 months, 3 weeks and 3 days old. The last one joined us on December 2, 2004 so her age now is 13 years, 2 months, 3 weeks and 1 day. What can I say about kids (lots more really, maybe more later). They are great fun and a big learning experience.

My parents were married until my father died in February of 1990. They moved here in 1960 and mom still lives in the area. I have a sister who is an RN and no brothers. My sister has a girl, two boys and many dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, etc.

How we were introduced

In October of 1996, Eric and Cherie were introduced. It was not your typical introduction because it was arranged by Together Dating Service(TDS). This was no "50 words or less" newspaper ad. There was a 200+ question self evaluation, a 200+ question psycological examination (of sorts), and a financial interview. There was also a section where you could describe what you hope to find. You could set any parameter you want from food tastes to physical appaerances to pastimes to spiritual beliefs. Of course, you don't want to get too specific or you'll never find a match. They reject people who are rebounding or are, in their opinion, mentally or financially unfit or are insincere. All information is tracked on hand written cards and compared by people holding the cards side-by-side and manually comparing. They use no computers in the match making process except ot keep treck of members account info and billing. TDS sells packages of introductions and an introduction consists of them selecting what they consider to be a potential match and passing the profile information (minus any names and contact information) along to the other. If both parties agree to initiate contact, then TDS passes on phone numbers. Packages ranged from 3 introductions with no option to decline (if you decline, it still counts as an introduction although you do not forced exchange contact information) to a lifetime membership (lets be serious - who that is seriously seeking a relationship would ever need a lifetime membership?). We each bought a package with the hope of finding the right one and couldn't believe the results!

His take on it

After years of bad dates and fruitless relationships, I recieved a card in the mail inviting (spelled soliciting) me to explore the possibility of finding a date through a dating service. The timing was perfect because I was fed up with my dating scene so I went in for an exploratory fly-by. I was impressed by the level detatil they went into when interviewing prospects and was curious enough to inquire as to the price of the packages. I about fell over when they told me!

The package I bought was for 6 introductions and cost an incredible $1875! After further reflection, it didn't seem like such a bad deal since I had spent way more than that on bad dates over the years. I also considered that both parties were there for the same reason - to find a match. So I plunked down the cabbage and went home with the biggest case of buyers remorse I have ever experienced to this date! You see, I am not a gambling man and this was a sizable gamble - much bigger than any bet I have ever made in my life! My self esteem was medium-low and I wasn't even sure I was a marketable comodity. I was also sure (after I left the TDS office) that the only clients they had were desporate people who couldn't get a date (like me? - hey, just a muninute there!). I felt sick like I just gave away $1875, big money where I come from.

Well, I'm here to tell you it works! I passed 5 introductions (no big deal, I didn't even need them) and married my first intoduction. I couldn't believe TDS could work so well! They set me up with the girl of my dreams - first try!

Her take on it

Dating, for me, was torture. My introverted personality, and the frustration of too many failed relationships, made it difficult to even want to meet anyone new. At the time, a dating service seemed like the dumbest thing I could’ve gotten myself into. I was very bitter and cynical thanks to the latest bad breakup. But I guess I figured that someone else could do all the prescreening and “get to know ya” stuff for me, because I was so sick of it.

It was scary. After going through the sign-up and screening process, I was wondering what I had gotten myself into. Most of all, I couldn’t believe how much money I had spent on this “dating experiment.” What would my friends think? Had I lost my mind? Had I really sunk so low in my personal life?

I remember getting the intro letter about Eric. I showed it to my best friend, who immediately rejected him based on the fact that if, God forbid, we should get married someday, my married name would be almost impossible to pronounce! (I’m glad I ignored that piece of bad advice). Eric and I immediately connected, and the rest is history.

Meeting Eric was, of course, one of the best gifts that God has given me. And because of it, I have my other special little gifts, Kirsten, Carson and Kaitlyn. Life is good…

The Engagement

We dated for a little over a year and I decided to get Cherie a ring and hide it somewhere obvious on the tree. I guess my recipie for a relationship called for a slow simmer, not a rapid boil. About a week before Christmas, Cherie got into this mood (probably attributable to holiday blues) where she felt our relationship was not progressing fast enough. I don't remember the whole deal, but I ended up proposing (she accepted, by the way) and giving her the ring about a week before Christmas. OK. So it didn't happen the way I had planned, but it worked out in a way I liked. We agreed that the wedding should be in the early part of the summer an kissed and went to bed. The next day, she was very excited and told all friends and family. That evening, I guess reality set in and she said to me "Maybe that's too soon. I think we need more time to make all the arrangements." All I could say was "Relax! There's still plenty of time."

We get Married

On July 10, 1998 (I hope I got it right ) we got married at a small garden chappel in South Lake Tahoe, only it was a late spring so the garden wasn't blooming yet. I rode up with my best man, Manuel, and, of course, I barley made it in time. I ran into the chappel dressing room and jumped into my suit and fought with the knot in the tie. I got it tied just in time and dashed out to the ceremony just as it was ready to get going. Everyone was sitting down waiting for things to start.

The music started and I was as nervous as I'd ever been. I looked up and saw Rick (Cherie's daddy) walking down the isle with her to give her away. She looked knockout gorgeous! My heart melted into a molten puddle of pounding flesh as she and her father walked closer and closer.

When she got all the way up to me I took both of her hands and the preacher began to speak. When he came to the part where we had to recite our vows, it felt like my voice was that of a mouse. I squeaked my way through my part and when it was her turn, soft-spoken as she normally is, she was even quieter. I'm sure the people in the seats had to read our lips. At the end, the preature said "You may kiss the bride." and we have never, before or since, had such a tight lipped nervous kiss.

After the ceramony, we did the recieving line for our 50 or so guests. When the ceramony was over, we went off to another part of the chappel isolated from the main area for a photo shoot. We did a few close-ups together, and a couple shots of from a distance, and some of just her and then it was time for pictures of just me alone. We did a couple close-ups and then the photographer instructed me to put one foot up on a rail and I noticed a flash of color from down below. I looked down to find that my fly had been open for, oh, the last 45 minutes or so - through the entire ceremony - for all the world to see my fancy silk boxers, or so I thought. I turned just about every shade of red! Everyone got a good laugh out of it when I told them about it and said they didn't notice anything. Nothing of the sort showed up in the pictures either.

The Reception

Our reception was down the street a couple miles. It was an alcohol free event and we had salmon, a chicken dish and a couple of types of pasta all of which were really good. We also had a beautiful wedding cake decorated with fresh fruits and berries. Shortly before the wedding, Cherie was pretty scared I was going to make a big mess with the cake. And of course, we saved the top section for our one year aniversary. It wasn't as good then.

It was a pretty big place and there was plenty of room for dancing even though we didn't (I have two left feet). We had disposable cameras all over the place so we got lots of pictures. Our niece, Jordyn, was about three years and got some great photos of people from the neck down (a kids eye view).

The getaway that night

When it was time to leave the reception, we got in the car and drove down Kingsbury Grade to a secret location in Genoa. I had secretly made arrangements to stay at a bed and breakfast called Genoa House Inn. What a neat place, and so close to home! It's right up against the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and has a nice park right across the street (dirt road). Frequently, deer can be seen roming around town and even bed down right in peoples front yards - even during the Candy Dance! Other critters run around all over town too. We walked around the park and for a while and went inside for the evening. Genoa House has a great library with lots of interesting old titles. The following morning, we enjoyed a terrific breakfast including coddled eggs, home made crepes, chicken apple sausage and fresh fruit. Following that, we zoomed off to Reno to pack our bags and head off on our honeymoon.

Another reception and house warming

The next day, Saturday, we had another party. It was a reception and house warming (1998 was a big year for us - we both got new jobs, one new car and a new house and we got married!) We had deli trays, drinks and other food for the close to 100 people that joined us throughout the day. Cherie really enjoyed seeing her college friends Val, Katia and Peni. A great time was had by all.

Our Honeymoon

Sunday afternoon we arrived San Francisco at a cute old (old) motel. It was pretty well kept and decorated with lots of potted flowers and flowering vines. We spent that evening walking around and looking for a place to have dinner. We stayed two nights and in that time we saw the Phantom of the Opera, Golden Gate Park, the San Francisco Aquarium, and the Exploratorium. We had a great time and would do it all again. And did I mention the motel was old?

Our next stop was Fort Bragg and a few nights at the Glass Beach Inn. Cool place! We stayed in Room #5 - Schooner Mendocino, the room decorated with mementos of the Sea, a big brass bell (no, we didn't ring it) and a hanging bed. While there, we spent a day in Mendocinoand rode the Skunk Train.

On the way back, we came up Hiway 20 and stopped in Yuba City for something to drink. I stopped the car at a 7-11 and Cherie jumped out and ran in. She came back out and hopped in the car and it was so hot, the air conditioner on max couldn't cool the car down for like twenty minutes. It was about 120°F and felt like 120°C! Glad we don't live there.

We drove to Nevada City and hung out there for a while going through all the little shops in the old down town shopping district. Very neat little town.

We finished the trip home that same day and slept in our own bed on Saturday night. We had all Sunday to relax, catch our breath and unpack.

We packed alot into six days and were beat when we got back home. Talk about an anticlimax!

Most Viewed

Random Image

Most Recent